St Augustine’s was built between 1401 and 1404 in what was then the new Perpendicular form, typically featuring the chancel and nave as one. Nikolaus Pevsner, the architectural historian, described the church as “a perfect piece of Perpendicular architecture because it was built, not only lavishly but also quickly and entirely to one plan”. Largely unchanged since it was built over 600 years ago, it remains to this day one of the finest examples of this style of architecture in England.
Alamy licensing details
Reference no: 0053152
Location: Skirlaugh, East Yorkshire, England, UK